Become a Keep Squaw True Outreach Associate
OPENING: Outreach Associate
Sierra Watch seeks an Outreach Associate with a passion for conservation advocacy and the Tahoe Sierra to increase awareness and mobilize grassroots involvement for our campaign to Keep Squaw True.
Founded in 2001, Sierra Watch has built a remarkable record of measurable success in Sierra conservation. We spearheaded the long-term effort to protect Tahoe’s Martis Valley, played the lead role in turning back irresponsible development on Donner Summit, and now we’re working to protect iconic Squaw Valley. This is an opportunity to play a key role in what is shaping up to be the biggest conservation issue in the Sierra Nevada, while also learning about environmental and land-use policy at the local levels of government.
Keep Squaw True Outreach Associate
The Keep Squaw True Outreach Associate will work primarily out of our Squaw Valley Field Office at the intersection of Alpine Meadows Road and Highway 89, working closely with Sierra Watch’s Field Representative and Staff Attorney.
This is a temporary, part time (+/- 20 hr/week), position starting in May and expected to end in August. Hours are flexible but varied, and the Outreach Associate will be expected to attend events collaboratively scheduled with Sierra Watch staff, including some evening and weekend commitments.
Pay is $12/hour. Sierra Watch will reimburse the Outreach Associate for work related expenses.
This position does not offer paid time off or health benefits.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The outreach intern will play an important role in implementing the grassroots component of Sierra Watch’s overall strategy to Keep Squaw True by assisting Sierra Watch staff with a wide array of grassroots tactics.
Specific tasks will depend on campaign needs but are likely to include:
- Staffing Keep Squaw True informational display at public events.
- Gathering signatures for the petition to Keep Squaw True
- Distributing Keep Squaw True campaign literature, stickers, t-shirts, hats, and drink cozies.
- Coordinating volunteers and supporters engaged in strategic actions such as
- Attending public meetings and hearings, contacting decision-makers via telephone or letter, or writing letters to the editor
- Publicizing campaign actions and activities through personal and social media networks
The Outreach Associate is an entry level position that will work in both field and office environments. Successful applicants will have most or all of the following qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree or current study in communications, education, environmental studies, journalism, marketing, public policy, or other applicable field.
- Experience in environmental/community outreach, education, or related fields preferred, a desire to work with the public is essential.
- Proficiency with Windows Office software package and social media applications including Facebook and Instagram.
- Excellent phone demeanor.
- Familiarity with the Tahoe Truckee community and local land use and environmental issues.
- Position requires an ability and willingness to work outside, with some physical activity such as bending, stooping, lifting and carrying, as well as an ability to lift 30 pounds, and periodically stand for prolonged periods of time at events.
- Intern must be able to provide their own car that would occasionally be used for work trips around the Tahoe-Truckee area, and a computer running the Microsoft Office software suite.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until Monday, April 18.
To download a .pdf of this job posting, click here: Sierra Watch Outreach Associate_Summer 2016